access rights on any RDBMS

From: Eildert Groeneveld <eg_at_tzv.fal.de>
Date: 25 Apr 2001 08:53:35 +0100

Hello Everyone,
we are developing a platform independant information system that uses any RDBMS that complies to SQL-92, using a meta level for specification of the business rules. The meta level is currently written in PERL and so are the applications.

We now have to address the access right control. The requirements are:

One place to implement this would be the meta level. Then we would be completely independant from the RDBMS. However, it implies that no direct interaction from PERL (or any other language) with the backend is possible, creating additional overhead.

Any thaughts on this problem?

Eildert Groeneveld

Institute for Animal Science and Animal Behaviour Mariensee 31535 Neustadt Germany
Tel : (+49)(0)5034 871155 Fax : (+49)(0)5034 92579 e-mail: eg@tzv.fal.de http://www.tzv.fal.de/~eg/