Re: pointers on representing tree in db?

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux127.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: 16 Apr 2001 22:19:50 GMT

Lennart Jonsson <lennart_at_kommunicera.umea.se> wrote:
: Hi, does any one know of any pointers on how to represent trees in a
: relational db? I'm sure there must be standard ways of doing this
: (representing organizations for example). I have implemented a solution
: which works but is far from perfect, thus eager to see other sides of the
: same coin :-)

Oracle has an extension to SQL syntax to build trees in queries. Use the CONNECT BY statement; it's been there since Oracle8. A quick tutorial is here:
http://www.arsdigita.com/books/sql/trees.html

And of course in the documentation at technet.oracle.com is more extensive. Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 00:19:50 CEST

Original text of this message