Re: Second Normal Form help.

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:26:18 -0400

Tom wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> I think we are starting to beat a dead horse here.. If you look a little
> further down the thread, you'll see where I've realized and admitted my
> mistake. You'll also see where the starter of this topic has found closure.
>
> Tom

I agree 100%, and am sorry that my post reached you. Perhaps a bit of explanation will be of interest (at least to those new to Usenet), and may explain what happened to some others:

At work there are a number of Usenet groups mirrored onto their intranet. I can't post, but I can read. I had noted the beginning of this thread, and decided to post when I got home.

After I posted, I noticed that my newsreader had not grouped the messages correctly, and the post was now complete. So, I canceled my posting. That the cancel had some effect can be deduced from the fact that I have never seen my posting on the mirrored server at work.

Of course, a 'cancel' is not a 'retrieve' but a 2nd message telling downstream news servers to ignore the 1st message. Evidently, Tom, either your news server ignores cancel requests, or you happened to get my post before the cancel could arrive. So again, please accept my appology.

Also, this is the first time I have ever had to cancel a posting. I am curious what others find to be the most effective action when one needs to retract a post: is it to cancel immediately, or is it better to make an immediate follow-up post saying 'please disregard the last message'?

Phil Singer                |    psinger1_at_chartermi.net
Oracle DBA

Go Wings!!!!!!! Received on Wed Apr 04 2001 - 04:26:18 CEST

Original text of this message