Re: Modeling 'group membership' - forehead sore from banging against wall

From: JRStern <JRStern_at_gte.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:24:26 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:01:50 -0500, "ja" <jalbano_at_lohmeyerinc.com> wrote:
>What I'm wondering is if a typical solution to this
>problem employs (roughly) this data structure and a bunch of recursive code,
>or a completely different data structure and some elegant and efficient
>code? Any observations would be most appreciatively welcomed.

Oracle supports such recursive relationships directly. It's just too common a thing, and the standard is known to be deficient in the area.

The other alternative is to flatten the recursive structure, enumerate the roles for each member. Less elegant, but easy to do.

J. Received on Tue Feb 27 2001 - 00:24:26 CET

Original text of this message