Re: domain questionnaire

From: JRStern <JRStern_at_gte.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:08:26 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:22:26 GMT, "Scot A. Becker" <scotb_at_inconcept.com> wrote:
>Ummmm... A few points from an admitted ORM bigot....

>1) I would hesitate to call ORM "a dialect of entity-relationship models".
>ER modeling models entities, attributes, and relationships between entities.
>ORM models obects and the roles they play with other objects.

Role == Relationship?

>There are no
>attributes, and the elementary fact concepts ensure normalization.

Heh-heh. Good trick, without attributes. Or even with them. We all know normalization is trivial, right?

>However,
>the benefits of the method are well detailed in the cited websites.

My cynical labelling of it as Yet-Another-Methodology does not mean it might not be quite useful.

>2) The conference in Anaheim is not an ORM conference, it is the Meta-data
>Conference and DAMA International Symposium. More techniques than ORM will
>be represented there, some good and some terrible, I'm sure. It is true that
>there will be two presentaions covering ORM there, one by myself and one by
>Dr. Terry Halpin.

Well, I might just wander by. I'm a big fan of meta-data (OK I'm easily amused). Waitaminute, $1k to wander by? I might be busy that week after all.

>3) I would hesitate to dismiss the concepts as "yet another methodology". An
>opinion, granted, but I encourage you to check it out in further detail.

Point taken.

Joshua Stern
JRStern_at_gte.net Received on Sat Feb 24 2001 - 03:08:26 CET

Original text of this message