Re: Complete axiomatization of relational algebra

From: Wolfgang Schoenfeld <schfeld_at_darmstadt.gmd.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:53:47 +0100

Relational algebra as I understand it is equivalent to first-order logic (i.e. there is a transformation - in both directions - which preserves validity).
Since the set of valid first-order sentences is recursively enumerable, the same applies to relational algebra.

But I presume your question is:
Is there a finite axiom system for relational algebra?

I do not know an answer to this,
but I remember the corresponding question was open for the algebra of BINARY relations.
And it was answered negatively,
i.e. they is no finite equational axiom system.

--
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schoenfeld, GMD-IPSI, +49-6151-869-865