Need info on design theory

From: <jalso_at_nospam-my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:26:37 GMT

Hello all.

I am looking for resources on developing a lightweight relational database system.

After some looking around, I believe that 'Database System Implementation' by Hector Garcia-Molina, Jeffrey D. Ullman, and Jennifer Widom may be what I'm looking for, but I'd like some expert advice on a good starting point.

It seems that the vast majority of published material deals with the issues of database usage. What I'm looking for is material related to designing a database engine itself. What I am planning is an extremely simple engine (single user, single threaded embedded DB which will support a subset of SQL).

My areas of expertise are distibuted system design and server development, so this is new terrain for me. Any advice you folks could give to get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Feb 19 2001 - 09:26:37 CET

Original text of this message