Re: Object Databases good or bad ?

From: Madmartigan <eelke_at_rohill.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:51:52 +0100

Ulrich <ulrich.pfisterer_at_rmb.co.za> wrote in message news:3A87CA45.1030206_at_rmb.co.za...
> Can anyone please tell me where I can find out more on the strengths and
> weakenesses of an object oriented database. Is integrating a programming
> language with the persistence like in Gemstone/s/j really such a good
> thing ? Are object databases really the future ?

I know from litterature studies that when considering distributed databases, distributed relational database systems use query shipping and object-oriented database systems use data shipping, This can have a major effect on the performance of a distributed database system when the distributed database
has only minimal bandwith between nodes. But since i don't know if you are considering using a distributed database i can not judge if this information has helped you any further.
greetings Eelke

--
God's purpose for mankind, was never that man should move across the earth
with the unnatural speed of more than 30 km/ hour!!!