Re: Mathematica RDBMS Model

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.win.tue.nl>
Date: 22 Jan 2001 12:25:53 GMT

Michal Widera wrote:

> > > The problem of locking .. hmm.. i'know. I schould find a
> > > statistical connection between size of database, type of signals
> > > which come to model, and types of answers.
> >
> > No you don't. You first have to find out *if* there is a
> > statistical connnection. :-) Maybe you should first simply build a
> > simulation of a database (or a real one) and see if you can find
> > any statistical relationships.
>
> Yep! - And for it i need mathematical RDBMS model

That in itself is not so very difficult. You can simply take the usual formal model of the data and then you have to add a locking mechanism. The problem is deciding:
- how complex the data models are allowed to be (how many tables, how   many foreign keys, how many constraints and what type of constraints,   et cetera)
- which locking mechanism you are going to use (optimistic,   pessimistic, field locking, row locking, table locking, page locking,   et cetera)
- what types of transactions you are going to allow and how complex   they can become (queries only, one query/update per transaction, et   cetera).

I hope I haven't discouraged you. But the point is that if you want to make a statistical model of transaction handling that makes sense, then there is no getting around thouroughly understanding the ways that this can be done.

--
  Jan Hidders