Re: Can ref_int be defined with standard SQL at all?

From: Vaughan Powell <powellv_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:37:16 GMT

In article <3A6412C4.424B8B59_at_ijs.si>,   DT <denis.trcek_at_ijs.si> wrote:
> Can anybody please let me know how to set up referential integrity
> using standard SQL - I don't want to deal with tricks like MS SQL
> Server 7.X triggers...
>
> So, the bottom line question is: What are the standard SQL statements
> make ref. int. between e.g. the following two relations (Customer_ID
 is
> a foreign key in the second table):
>
> (#Customer_ID, Name, Surname) and (#Item_ID, #Customer_ID, Quantity).
>
> Thank you for your answer in advance. D. Trcek

ANSII-92 standard SQL for foreign key constraints in your examples is:

CREATE TABLE Table2
(
  ItemId integer,
  Customer_Id integer REFERENCES Table1 (Customer_ID),   Quantity integer
)

or:

CREATE TABLE Table2
(

  ItemId      integer,
  Customer_Id integer,
  Quantity    integer,

  FOREIGN KEY (Customer_ID) REFERENCES Table1 (Customer_ID) )

The second style can be used for multi-column foreign key references.

--
Vaughan Powell
MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE

Sent via Deja.com