normalization problems

From: Karen Osmond <kosmond_at_softhome.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:24:51 GMT

Hi,

I am working on a database which contains data about Vendors and Products, and I'm having problems structuring the data.

The Products fall into a range of categories (such as Budgeting & Planning, Knowledge Management, Business Scorecards...).

Each of these categories have different attributes that will be associated with them. Each Product may fall into more than one of the categories.

There will also be some statistical attributes that are the same for all products, regardless of category.

The only way I can see of doing this is by having a Product table (containing the common statistics) with a one-to-many relationship to a Product-Category table with a one-to-one relationship to each of the category tables, but this seems awful!

The Product-Category table would contain the Product Code and a Category identifier, so I could code around having to search through 16 category tables, if I did not know which category(s) a product was in.

This seems like a really bad way of doing things - I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction!

Thanks,
-Karen Osmond. Received on Thu Dec 21 2000 - 06:24:51 CST