Re: Design Of Computer Features Database

From: Thilo Schwidurski <thilo.s_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:31:01 +0100

Carl Rosenberger wrote:

> > First, some components are used to build others, so I see a Bill-
> > Of-Materials type model to accomodate that aspect, but I seem to hit a
> > brick wall as to how to have a well-normalized set of tables that tie
> > features into this BOM arrangement.
>
> Paul,
>
> have you considered using an object database?
>
> You would just rebuild reality by using the classes of your OO programming
> language.
>
> Regards,
> Carl

I just want to add that you might want to have a look at the composite-pattern in the "Design Patterns"-Book. AFAI understand this will lead you straightforward to the desired solution. This pattern gives guidance to the solution of composite-component-relation oriented problems.

A cluster consists of computers.
A computer consists of components (e.g. mainboard, graphics adapter, ...).
A mainboard has a couple of features/capabilities. (contains features/capabilities ? )

--
Bye,
Thilo.