looking for database synchronization suggestions

From: Bob Maggio <bmaggio.cac_at_abac.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:32:15 GMT

I need to synchronize a couple of databases. They are different databases (one Access, the other SQL Server) but they have identical structures. There is also the possibility for additional instances in the future that reside on a different database product.

I know Access and SQL contain some replication features, but can they work across different products?

I would like to create a process (using Visual Basic) that handles the data synchronization. It is simple enough to write some code that compares each record with the corresponding database and copy it over if it is different. But I am not sure how to handle deleted records. For example if a record in database 1 was deleted, how would I know to delete it from database 2?

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Is there any tools/utilities out there that could do this for me? It would need to be easy to use and inexpensive, as we donā€™t have too many resources dedicated to this project.

Thanks for any help. Received on Fri Nov 10 2000 - 09:32:15 CST