Re: Geographic proximity determination...

From: Tim Hentzel <thentzel_at_silicon-age.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:21:17 GMT

i'm doing exactly what you describe on a project right now using oracle's spatial cartridge. the cartridge allows for proximity calculations, contains queries, and the like. we are using mapinfo products to do the geocoding of addresses and display the map (vector graphics) layers.

the process is as follows:

o user types in an address

o we attempt to uniquely geocode the address using mapinfo data

o if we can unique identify the address we determine if it fits in our defined territories (contains calculation)

o if it isn't uniquely identified we provide a select list of the closest addresses.

everything works beautifully, the only drawback is the pricetag.

hth,
tim hentzel

http://www.codegarden.com

In article <39C351CE.46D00FA5_at_one.net>,   iguana_at_one.net wrote:

> Howdy all...
>
> I've got a design problem...
>
> I need to create a database of address information. When this
> database is searched for a location in, say Loveland, if the location
> doesn't exist in Loveland but a similar one exists in Indian Hill it
> should suggest it before it suggests a location in, say, Fort Thomas,
 KY

> (which is further away from Loveland than is Indian Hills for all you
> non-Cincinnatians...).
>
> Does anyone have any clue how to go about getting this information
> or encoding it in a database in a reasonable fashion?
>
> I was thinking something about begin able to use a coordinate system,
> but that seems like a pain... I'll be using a MySQL database and PERL
> to design the site... So just about any acrobatics to get the
> information is do-able...
>
> Any insight on this problem is greatly appreciated.
>
> Ray.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Sep 23 2000 - 16:21:17 CEST

Original text of this message