CFA ACM Crossroads magazine

From: Lynellen \ <perryl_at_CS.MsState.Edu>
Date: 2000/09/20

                        Call For Articles
Crossroads, the Association for Computing Machinery Student Magazine
                        Databases (Spring 2001)

                DUE DATE:          October 2, 2000
              SUBMISSION ADDRESS:  http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/
              INFORMATION:         crossroads_at_acm.org
               http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/cfas/database.html

The student guest editor for this issue is: Suzie Allard slalla0_at_pop.uky.edu. If you have an idea for an article, please do drop her a line to discuss your idea.

The Crossroads editorial staff invites authors to submit articles dealing with topics drawn from several areas pertaining to databases. The following partial list of topics is provided to give prospective authors ideas for articles and is by no means exhaustive; other relevant topics will be considered. Papers that draw connections between two or more of these areas are especially welcome.

Database Issues in the areas of:

        Applications
        Authorization and security
        Comparison
        Data mining and knowledge discovery
        History of Databases
        Industrial trends (future)
        Models and design
        Performance and Benchmarks
        Programming languages
        Query language, processing and optimization
        Text Storage and Retrieval
        User Interface

 Types of databases

        Geographic Information Systems
        Image and Video Systems
        Legacy databases
        Multimedia databases
        Object-Relational Database Systems
        Parallel and Distributed Databases
        Scientific and Statistical Databases
        Spatial and Temporal Databases
        WWW databases

Articles should include a basic description of the kinds of problems being worked on, the state of the art of research, the state of the art of commercial applications, open problems, or future research/commercial development trends. Interviews with researchers; reviews of related books, software, videos, or conferences; and opinion columns on related issues are also welcome. We especially encourage both undergraduate and graduate students to submit articles. However, articles written or coauthored by professionals will also be considered.

Crossroads articles should be written for a broad audience. They should be easily understandable by someone who has had only the most basic computer science instruction, and yet still be interesting to the advanced computer enthusiast. Articles longer than 6000 words will generally not be considered for publication. Feature articles should be between 1500 and 6000 words; reviews should be between 800 and 2000 words; and opinion columns should be between 800 and 3000 words. Articles should be written in a magazine style rather than a research paper style. In consideration of our diverse readership, authors should try to use language that is inclusive of people regardless of their gender, race, religion, nationality, or field of study. Additional writing guidelines and submission information are available online at the Crossroads web site
(http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/information/writing.html).

Crossroads is published both online and in print. We have a print circulation of about 15,000. All back issues are available for free on our website. Authors that have an article printed in Crossroads can receive complementary copies of the issue they were published in.

All submissions should be formatted in HTML or plain text format and submitted via http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/

Submissions are due <b>October 2, 2000</b>. They will be reviewed shortly thereafter and authors of accepted submissions will be notified within two to three weeks of the deadline.

Prospective authors are invited to send email to the editors of Crossroads
(crossroads_at_acm.org) indicating their intention to submit an article. In
this way we can keep everyone informed of any changes in deadlines or formats and to make sure we have a good variety of articles. General questions should also be sent to the Crossroads editors.

Lynellen Perry perryl_at_acm.org
Editor In Chief, ACM Crossroads
www.acm.org/crossroads crossroads_at_acm.org Received on Wed Sep 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message