Re: Version Control on DBContent

From: Torgeir Veimo <torgeir_at_vertech.no>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:40:36 GMT

Cory L Hubert wrote:

> Hello. I am using programming java based system that needs to be able
> to keep track of changes to any given content. Similar to the way a
> Visual SourceSafe or a CVS, but only for content. In order to do this I
> have to
>
> 1. Make the information temporal ( Add Start and End Dates to the Content
> in the database)
> 2. Append the user who changed the content in a modifided history table.
> 3. Be able to compare two version of the content and automatically pinpoint
> it's differences.
>
> I am not sure if I am taking the correct approach. Number 1 will
> require many copies of information that is similar. Number 2 is no problem.
> But Number 3 seems like it will be a lot of work!!!!

I have searched a lot, and there doesn't seem to exist any DIFF implementations in Java that can handle binary data. If you need references to diff for textual data (data organized into lines), a simple search on +diff +java will turn up some interesting code.

If you find any binary diff implementations in java, please let us know.

--
- Torgeir