Re: Select a research subject

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.win.tue.nl>
Date: 11 Sep 2000 09:44:29 GMT

 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was off from research 3 years ago. Now I want to return back but do
> not know what will be the suitable subject within Databases in
> general. I would like to select my subject in databases but do not know
> what to choose specifically. I am looking for an interesting subject
> that is still new and includes a lot of research points to tackle. Any
> hints or advice are really appreciated

XML and semistructured data in general. Check out the following URL:

  http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/conf/webdb/webdb2000.html

If you want to know what is hot in database theory look at the CFP of ICDT (Internation Conference on Database Theory):

  http://www.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/icdt2001/call.html

Some other conferences to keep an eye on:

 SIGMOD/PODS: (Principles of Database Systems)

 http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/conferences/sigmod2001/index.html

 VLDB: (Very Large Databases)

 http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/vldb2001/

Good luck with your research.