Re: size of a database

From: Gecko23 <gk_2345_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:24:12 GMT

In article <8of0h6$s1i$1_at_news2.kornet.net>,   HanJeong Lee <stststst_at_soback.kornet.nm.kr> wrote:

> how do you measure the size of a database?

In what regard?
Performance? Storage?

Most often, DB size is relative to the platform that is supporting it. (i.e. I wouldn't hesitate to put a multi-million record DB on an AS/400, but I might think twice if it was going on the old PC in the closet. Of course that is if performance was an issue, if not, it might go on whichever had the most open HD space.)

The most common benchmark is record count. How many records can be searched, updated and indexed is a major bottleneck of many, many DB engines. Besides, how can you know what the actual storage requirements are going to be until you know how many records, of what size and requiring what indexes are needed?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 19:24:12 CEST

Original text of this message