Re: Call for OODB query experts

From: akmal b chaudhri <akmal_at_nospam.soi.city.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:05:51 +0100

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Carl Rosenberger wrote:

[snip]

> According to Konstantin Knizhnik, a member of our group, our
> Query-By-Example approach was a competitor to SQL, when RDBMS began to be
> successful.
>
> Regards,
> Carl

Carl:

That QBE work has been applied by some researchers recently for OODBs. For example:

http://www.disi.unige.it/conferences/oodbws00/program.html

But the papers do not appear to be online anymore.

I looked at the work by Zloof on QBE in the late 1980s for my MSc. Quite interesting. I think that there was some empirical research results as well which showed that people could be taught QBE very quickly. Chapter 3 has a couple of pages:

http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/papers.dir/88.msc-thesis.ps or
http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/papers.dir/88.msc-thesis.ps.gz

KR

akmal