Re: one table? five tables?

From: <mikepreece_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:47:46 GMT

On a Pick database we could do this :

Key : ProductNo
001 : ComponentKey (Multi-valued)
002 : WorkProcess (Sub-valued)

Any number of ComponentKeys can be held in the item keyed on the ProductNo. Any number of WorkProcesses can be held in the item for each ComponentKey. Shocking to the purists I suppose, but hey, we want to get on and get these things made and sold don't we?

Cheers,
Mike.

In article <8n515u$5ge$1_at_news.ncu.edu.tw>,   "ªL¨Î§»" <s8423022_at_cc.ncu.edu.tw> wrote:

> A `product' is made by it's `component' and a `component' is
 made by
> several `work process'.
> I think I may need five tables in the database, but is this a
 good
> design???
>
> Tables:
>
> 1. product(pid,name) primary key(pid)
> 2. component(pid,cid) primary key(pid,cid)
> foreign key(pid)
 reference
> product.pid
> foreign key(cid)
 reference
> component.cid
>
> 3. component_item(cid,name) primary key(cid)
> 4. work_process(pid,cid,wid,step) primary
> key(pid,cid,wid,step)

 foreign
> key(pid,cid) reference component(pid,cid)

 foreign
> key(wid) referenc work_process_item(wid)
> 5. work_process_item(wid,name) primary key(wid)
>
> it seems that there are too many tables and too many identifer
 ( ex.
> pid, cid, wid...)
> and the few fields in each table (for example, component_item,
> work_process_item,...).
> The requirements are quite simple.
> I just want to know what work process are needed to produce a
> product,
> and what components make up a product, and each steps to make
> component.
> because the requirements are quite simple, sometimes, I
 think that
> maybe there are too many tables.
> maybe we could put all the things in one big table? like this
> (id, product, component, step, work_process)
>
> The question are:
> 1. is this a good design?
> 2. should I use the component' name as it's identifer and
 delete
> the cid field from component_item table?
> and use work process' name to identifer
 work_process_item
> but not wid?
> 3. if the answer of questoin 2 is YES,
> should I combine work_process_item and component_item
 into
> other tables, or one field in one table is good?
>
> any comment would be appreciated.
> thanks a lot.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Aug 15 2000 - 20:47:46 CEST

Original text of this message