Re: why not a one table database ?

From: Jeffrey Flaker <jeffreyf_at_nac.net>
Date: 2000/08/09

one rule of thumb in normalization is to make sure that if you delete for example a car from the db that ALL other information is kept intact: ie. delete the blue car for customer A because be bought a new yellow car......in a single table db deleting the BLUE car for customer A may essentially delete past customer history, amount of visits from that customer or from the BLUE car. If the manager wanted to find out who is his best customer or who spent the most, or suggest to a customer that his/her car would well be worth replacing because of mechanical failures because the manager wants to sell him/her a car from his lot......All history information on car BLUE and as relative to customer A is gone