Interested in creating a Generic e-Commerce Data Model ?

From: Barry <barrywilliams_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/12

Hi,
From time to time people ask for libraries of Generic Data Models, and the answer is usually :-"Models are too valuable to be given away for free, and here's half-a-dozen books to read". I have just spent 3 months designing a Data Model for Traffic Analysis on a Web Site. I found myself thinking that many other people must be solving the same problems at the same time and we'd all do a better job more quickly if we could find a way to share our insights. What I have in mind is to design a generic model for e-commerce, extending from integration of legacy data at the back-end to user personalization at the front-end.
Is anyone interested in a group to do this ? We could probably aim to produce a Kick-Start Data Model which would be generic and would stop short of being mapped onto specific implementation technologies.

I have created a number of small models for specific areas on :- http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_models/index.htm

and I'd be very interested in attempting to do it on a larger scale, and e-commerce will be occupying a lot of our waking and working time in the foreseeable future.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to see if it's a workable idea.

Barry Williams
Principal Consultant
Database Answers

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jul 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message