Re: What is the best package for creating a web enabled database?

From: Mark Preston <mark_at_mpreston.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/07/04

ROFL - Lotus Notes!! Is that a serious suggestion?

Build a snappy little Java, VB or C++ program that structures your data with XML tags. Don't worry about the Schema or DTD (though it might be a good idea when you design the XML format).

Read your data off the net, move through it with your snappy little program until you get almost to the end (just before the very last tag) and then add your data. FTP it back to the net. Job done.

To use / share the data, another snappy little program to read the data, check for tags and output the content. Again, don't bother with the Schema or DTD, just straightforward text manipulation. If you really want to, you can create the data as CSV and import it into any reasonable database.

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:39:45 GMT, sriniv79_at_my-deja.com wrote:

[snip]

>There are two excellent mature products to fit in this arena. First is
>Lotus Notes. It comes with a 'so-called' built in database, which will
>fit your requirements more than sufficiently. It is a very easy to use
>and program. You can download the software free from Lotus/IBM website.
>There are about a zillion books on getting you started. Lotus Notes is
>still the king of replication technology. You dial-in or connect to the
>Internet, the underlying replication engine automatically syncs up your
>data and images without any additional programming.
 ROFL

--
Mark A Preston BSc, FIAP
The Magpie's Nest