Re: What is the best package for creating a web enabled database?

From: JulieB <julie_blake_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/04

If you use Lotus Domino you don't need to have anything more than a web browser installed to view the database, however this probably fails the requirement for
>> minimal time spent writing code.

I don't think poor Diamond is going to get a particularly good web database with no coding!

Julie.

In article <39601d82.2867436_at_news.btinternet.com>,   robin.stoddartstones_at_btinternet.com wrote:
> An interesting take on the subject, since a normal interpretation of
> web enabled is for the user to be able to access through a browser,
> rather than a proprietary piece of software, such as Notes or SQL.
>
> In fact, by extension of the users original request,
> >>not requiring the user to have MS Access already installed >>,
> proprietary software is not required. Mind you, the user would need
> at least a browser installed and you are equating Notes with a
> browser.
>
> Hmmmm. I would have said that ultimately what is possibly required is
> some sort of XML base. The XML would be able to translating the
> datasource access and schema to a DDL, You would download the DDL for
> the application to your browser and the DDL protocol for your central
> datbase would extract and convert the appropriate information from a
> specified datasource. Unfortunately, off the peg XML systems like that
> are not yet available, at least not with a minimum of user coding.
>
> Have Fun
> Robin
>
> On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:39:45 GMT, sriniv79_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >Okay, pals, here is some non-aggravating advice.
> >
> >What you are really looking for is a Windows executable program which
> >can use the Internet as messaging backbone to upload and download the
> >data, which is called 'Replication' in the trade. The windows program
> >itself should be able to store and retrieve the data from a local or
> >built-in database.
> >
> >There are two excellent mature products to fit in this arena. First
 is
> >Lotus Notes. It comes with a 'so-called' built in database, which
 will
> >fit your requirements more than sufficiently. It is a very easy to
 use
> >and program. You can download the software free from Lotus/IBM
 website.
> >There are about a zillion books on getting you started. Lotus Notes
 is
> >still the king of replication technology. You dial-in or connect to
 the
> >Internet, the underlying replication engine automatically syncs up
 your
> >data and images without any additional programming.
> >
> >The second product is SQL-Anywhere from Sybase. This product is just
 as
> >good or even better. SQL Anywhere compensates what Lotus Notes lacks
 in
> >the form of a robust RDBMS backend. Using this, you can develop a
 true
> >client server application that can be used from a local database on
> >your PC or a remotes Database connected on the Internet. However,
 SQL-
> >Anywhere costs you more for acquiring as well as developing.
> >
> >Based on your initial requirements, Lotus Notes is the right fit.
> >
> >-Srini
> >vu2syy_at_yahoo.com
> >

> >In article <EuA35.4060$fw6.82248_at_news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
> > "D" <diamond-b_at_mcmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I would like to create a PC based program that allows a person to
 record
> >> details about themselves and save it as a file on their PC or to a
 floppy
> >> disk, e.g. Name, Address, etc. As well as perhaps a picture of
 themselves.

> >> I would then like the program to be able to send this information
 to a
> >> central database on the internet that stores details of the person
 and their
> >> picture if they have one. I'd also like the person to be able to
 download
> >> data from the central database, such as company news, or meeting
 schedules,
> >> etc.
> >>
> >> The program would function like any other windows type program such
 as word
> >> or excel. But would ideally be a fully self contained program -
 i.e.
 not
> >> requiring the user to has MS Access already installed, etc.
> >>
> >> I'd like the program to take advantage of thing like users who have
 large
> >> screens such as 1600 by 1200. And auto size to fit the screen.
> >>
> >> Is there any database package out there that will allow me to right
 anything
> >> like what is described above with minimal time spent writing code?
 e.g.
> >> Access, Oracle, etc? It should be able to deal with many hundreds
 and
> >> eventually thousands of users accessing the database at the same
 time?

> >> Any help is most greatfully recieved.
> >>
> >> regards
> >>
> >> Diamond
> >>

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jul 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message