Re: A good book to learn SQL

From: <sriniv79_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/01

My favorite book for SQL is "DB2 Universal Database" by Don Chamberlin. One might be tempted to think of it as a DB2 book, but then, Don invented SQL! If you want to understand SQL deeply, this is the book you must read. The SQL specific chapters are pretty independent and can be read without having to read the DB2 related stuff. Buy this book, you won't regret. There are so many real life samples and examples in this book, your ROI is very quick. His expalnation of two principles in SQL - Orthogonality and closure, forever changed my way of writing the queries.

Also, read 'SQL for smarties' by Joe Celko, a frequent poster in this news group. All his three books are woth their weight in money.

-S

In article <395A2947.5957D5CA_at_sofrel.com>,   denis martinez <d.martinez_at_sofrel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anybody know a good book to learn SQL ? not only syntax but a little
> theory too.
> I use a linux based system and intend to use mySQL. But don't whant a
> "mysql based book", i prefer a general book with good description of
> commands and how to use it.
> Thank's in advance.
>
> --
> Denis MARTINEZ ; e-mail d.martinez_at_sofrel.com
> R&D Engineer at Sofrel Telecontrol Business
> Phone: +33(0)4 92 08 43 24 Fax: +33(0)4 92 08 43 19

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Jul 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message