Re: Optimisation question.

From: <manu_b_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/20

With Oracle 7/8 have a look on MAXTRANS and INITTRANS storage clause. I think you need to increase both parameters, if several session update the same data block.
If the scalability still bad, try to tune FREE_LIST and FREE_LIST GROUP.

Regards

In article <394ED67C.9C5F997_at_enternet.com.au>,   David Pattinson <dpattinson_at_enternet.com.au> wrote:
> I have a table which is being used as a processing queue by a number
 of
> instances of an application. Each instance of the application finds
 the
> oldest untagged job in the queue, tags it, performs the appropriate
> calculation and updates the queue record to indicate that it has been
> processed, resetting the tag. A given record in the queue table will
> have upwards of 30 processing operations performed on it before it is
> finished and deleted from the queue table. Typically processing
> operations take less than one second to perform (about 5 per second)
 so
> the queue table is polled heavily (at an interval of about 1/10
 seconds
> per instance of the application).
>
> I am looking for ways to improve the scalability of the product
 without
> having to alter the application. Currently processing time degrades
> substantially with the addition of more processing applications, and
 I'm
> fairly sure that it is at least partly due to contention for the queue
> table. The database may be deployed on either Oracle 7/8 or MS SQL
> Server 6.5/7. I'm really looking for some physical database tuning
> suggestions.
>
> Thanks, David.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message