Re: Does sequence take up stoarge in database?

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/15

In article <39477f35$0$504$7f31c96c_at_news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,   "junwen" <junwen_at_comic.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody tell me what is the use of sequence and does it take up
 any
> storage in database
> ?
>
> Regards,
> Junwen

A sequence is Oracle's method of generating sequential numberic values usually used as keys. See the SQL manual entry for Create Sequence for syntax and options, and the Concepts manual for a description of their uses and limitations. Sequences are independent objects and do not belong to a specific table, but may be used by any user/process that has select privilege on the sequence.

Sequences are dictionary entries that take a small amount of system tablespace to store and are made available for use via a shared pool buffer cache. At one time there was an comment about average storage space per sequence in the ver. 7 manuals, but I have long forgot what it was. The space required for a sequence is not significant.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.