Re: MVD projection algorithm.

From: Tin Blaskovic <tblaskov_at_jagor.srce.hr>
Date: 2000/06/15

admin _at_ comp.databases.theory wrote:

: The only way to implement what you want is with
: Eigen vectors and would probably take longer to
: do than is feasible for your immediate needs

  Are you sure that is the only way, or maybe my original post wasn't clear enough? I need an algorithm that people use when normalizing to 4NF and 5NF. The algorithms that I have do this:

  1. find the keys of the original schema
  2. process non-key attributes
  3. if certain conditions met, do a decomposition
  4. for all newly generated attribute sets, goto step 1 Now, what I need is the algorithm that will take the MVDs of the original schema and calculate its projection to decomposed schemas, so that step 4 can be performed. I have seen (on paper) examples of doing manual normalization using the above algorithms. However, from the example, I couldn't quite understand how the MVD projection was done, and that's the only thing I need.