Help! with relational Algebra

From: Michael Rowlands <michaelrowlands_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 2000/06/06

Hi,
I am having a few problems in approaching relational algebra problems, I cannot seem to find a method I should use to tackle them. An example of a problem would be,
Take an SQL example
"INSERT INTO P RELATION {P#:'46', PNAME:'MALCOLM', COLOUR:'Red',
WEIGHT:12.5, CITY:'London'} ;"

Then convert it to a Relational Algebra statement
"P ;= P UNION RELATION { TUPLE{P#:'46',
PNAME:'MALCOLM',COLOUR:'Red',WEIGHT:12.5) ;"

I do not know any way to approach these types of questions (I'm thick). Any help or link to a website explaining how to approach problems like the above would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Michael Rowlands
michaelrowlands_at_bigfoot.com

--

   Thoughts for the day:

 ; Always code as if the guy that ends up maintaining and/or testing
 ; your code is a violent psychopath who knows exactly where you live.
   (from comp.arch.embedded newsgroup)

   "To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!"
                   - Homer Simpson

   In the immortal words of Socrates, "I drank what?"