Re: indexed views now exist in Microsoft SQL Server 2000

From: Ruud de Koter <ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com>
Date: 2000/06/02

Hi,

Lewis Bruck wrote:

> I can't provide complete details, but I can answer your questions.
>
> 1. An indexed view has a complete materialization of all of the columns in
> the view. Therefore an lookup of a row in the view does a single seek into
> the index, not multiple seeks into the base table.

Is it too rash to conclude that an indexed view is therefore no longer a view but a table? In other words: is MS once again trying to change the meaning of a generally accepted term into the opposite?

Also a point of interest: how will SQL Server keep the view's contents synchronized with the underlying table's contents? Will this mechanism be as inherently safe as runtime composition of the view?

(left out the rest of the original message)

Love to hear from others what they think of this...

Regards,

Ruud

Ruud de Koter                    HP OpenView Software Business Unit
Senior Software Engineer         IT Service Management Operation
Telephone: +31 (20) 514 15 89    Van Diemenstraat 200
Telefax  : +31 (20) 514 15 90    PO Box 831
Telnet   : 547 - 1589            1000 AV  Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Email    : ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com

internet: http://www.openview.hp.com/itsm
          http://www.openview.hp.com/assetview
intranet: http://ovweb.bbn.hp.com/itservicemanager