random SQL generation tool

From: Allen Ussher <aussher_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: 2000/05/23

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any existing tools to generate random SQL queries. What I mean by this is a tool that, given a database, will generate random SQL queries for that database. These
"random" queries shouldn't be completely random. They should be
"sensible" in that they return a "sensible" number of rows (not 0 or ALL
rows). Ideally, they'd look like queries a regular user of the database might create and so the number of rows returned would vary.

The ultimate goal is to generate a bunch of queries that can be run as a batch on two versions of a database for regression testing (and testing in general). It's a lot easier for a tool to generate hundreds of SQL queries than it is for one person.

I am aware of a tool used at Microsoft called RAGS that does just what I'm talking (http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/barc) but would like other examples (if any) to see how other people tackle this problem. The MS link has a nice paper by Donald Slutz that goes into a bit more detail of such a tool, but, of course, doesn't provide source code.

I'd appreciate any links or contacts for any tools or similar research.

Thank you.

Allen Ussher
DB2 Universal Database Performance & Ad-Tech
IBM Toronto Laboratory

NOTE: The views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my
employer.