Suggested course of study...

From: Kevin Stevens <kstevens_at_localnet.com>
Date: 2000/05/01

I have found myself fascinated by database modeling and design. Given that I am no math whiz and am thinking about this as a new career at 36, what do the gurus of the group think is a baseline level of knowledge that would allow me to design databases for small to medium size companies? I am thinking about this as either an independent contractor or in-house.

I want to get a firm grasp on theory and design principles before learning any particular RDBMS implementation.

Here is where I have read so far:

Database Design for Mere Mortals (even I thought it was overly simple)

I am in the data modeling section of Handbook of Relational Database Design by Fleming and vonHalle

I have sitting on my bookshelf the Halpin book. I am not ready for that yet. I am hoping the Fleming book will get me to that point.

Any recommendations on what, and more to the point, where I should learn?

Thanks to all here

--
Kevin Stevens
Technology Department