Re: Nullable columns or Separate table ?

From: P.A. <john.doe_at_nospam.org>
Date: 2000/04/28

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the link. It seems acm.org web site has a "bug" and wouldn't accept perfectly valid Canadian address and wouldn't accept my registration.

Anyhow, after some more thinking here is what I think. (Since from your post you appear to be in academia, please provide input).

This design issue can be resolved by extending the 4th Normalization form. (i.e. removing multi-valued dependencies). If you look at this closely, it really is mismatch between attribute dependencies. A relation has some attribute that are single-valued dependent on the primary key and some attributes who are *AT MOST* single-valued dependent. So,

Emp_ID -> Emp_Name -- always single-valued dependency

but

Emp_ID ->* Manages_Dept -- at most single-valued dependency

I used ->* to represent when Manages_Dept is single-valued or zero-valued dependent on Emp_ID.

If we call this as 4.5th normalization rule, "All attributes should be either always single-valued dependent on primary key or there should be only one multi-valued dependency." then this can lead to Approach (2) in my original post.

Thanks

P. Adhia

P.S. I'll ready your paper, when acm.org resolves issues around creating my ID.