Re: Oracle (or Informix, DB2) vs. SAS for Enterprise Warehouse

From: Joe Trubisz <trubisz_at_cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: 2000/04/21

Jack...

The SAS camp is correct. Note that they DID NOT say data warehousing. They are a statistical tool and quite a good one. But, that tool is not what a warehouse makes.

I've done warehouses in all the major DB's. While they all 'claim' to scale, only IBM and Informix can scale and perform to data warehouse size proportions without choking. Sybase almost can and Oracle is a total waste.

I'm with you though...create the DW with a DB and manage SAS data within it.

Joe

Jack Sanderson (jogault_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: There's a debate raging here on the better very scalable data warehouse
: environment.
: The SAS camp claims that SAS is better for building predictive models,
: easier to work w/external data sets, robust enough for high volume/high
: scale.
: The RDB camp (to which I belong) says that the RDB offers higher
: scalability, better utilization of parallel processors, and much better
: openess to OLAP and CRM tools.

: Thoughts?