Re: Oracle (or Informix, DB2) vs. SAS for Enterprise Warehouse

From: Leif Johansson <Leif.Johansson_at_Frontec.se>
Date: 2000/04/20

Jack Sanderson wrote:

> There's a debate raging here on the better very scalable data warehouse
> environment.
> The SAS camp claims that SAS is better for building predictive models,
> easier to work w/external data sets, robust enough for high volume/high
> scale.
> The RDB camp (to which I belong) says that the RDB offers higher
> scalability, better utilization of parallel processors, and much better
> openess to OLAP and CRM tools.
>
> Thoughts?

The VLDB solutions for DW is NCR Teradata, period. From here you can scale to the moon and back... Serious, the enviroment is MPP or SMP for this kind of systems. I'm not a friend of any 'camp' but i have had the luck to trying out the other's, Oracle, Sybase, SQL-Server, Informix. Teradata, Informix and DB2 is the most intresting whitin this area(DW).

Leif Johansson // Received on Thu Apr 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message