Re: Why are data types size limited?

From: Karl Hewlett <fake_address_at_auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 2000/04/13

I would expect a long and full lifespan:

Once a language has sufficient usage it outlasts its perceived lifespan. E.g. Cobol has been declared dead since at least the early 80s yet is still in common usage in many businesses. The body of existing code, pool of experienced developers and admins, etc is as important an issue as the capabilities of the newer replacment languague.

Even if OODBMS are better they will not fully compete with RDMS and faster than RDMS competed with file management/Cobol/Fortran/etc systems.

(btw, I have no opinion on OODBMS - never used one, or seen the box the discs come in)

My 10cents worth :)
Karl Hewlett