Re: Need very much YOUR valuable advice, please?

From: Wolfgang Keller <wk_at_objectarchitects.de>
Date: 2000/04/07

Blaster,

your posting is somewhat off-topic here, but anyway ...

I can only tell you how I would check ... get a hit list of the top servers (or some that match your expected traffic) and then drop them a mail. I guess amazon for example uses Bea WebLogic http://www.weblogic.com/

> 3. Which database application server is the
> best - MS SQL, Oracle, Informix or other?

hmmm ... do you mean database server or app server - oracle for example also has an app server besides it's database server. I would check a few vendors' sites and look for their references - if you go for market share the answer will be
that ORACLE is the most popular relational database for the big iron you want to build

> 4. Which particular format and language
> should be used - CGI, ASP, PHP3, XML, HTML
> or else?

your boss should really consider outsourcing or hiring somebody with some grasp of the concepts
... if you ask questions like this, you might have a hard time ever getting the job done ... the answer is somewhat more complex :-). To complex for news ..

But luckily there are guys who sell nothing but software for portals like SKYVA ( http//www.skyva.com/ )
who will provide you with answers, if you feed them enough money .. sorry for being so european here ;-)

> 5. Are there any readymade packages that can automate
> more or less the design of this hosting
> portal so that I don't need to reinvent
> the wheel.

you might want to ask SKYVA .. they have a software suite for portals only ...

> I would be happy if anybody cares to take the time
> and leave some valuable notes!

hope I've not been to rough - and hope I could be helpful anyway

Cheers

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Keller http://www.objectarchitects.de/ObjectArchitects/ mailto: wk_at_objectarchitects.de Received on Fri Apr 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message