Re: OODB question?

From: Dora <swsleung_at_cs.cityu.edu.hk>
Date: 2000/04/02

akmal wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Dora wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 02:09:55 +0800
> > Newsgroups: comp.databases.object, comp.databases.theory, comp.databases,
> > comp.object
> > Subject: OODB question?
> >
> > I've some questions about the UniSQL database.
> >
> > How can I get back the schema after I create some classes?
> > After I get all schema, how can I download the data from the UniSQL
> > database?
> > Do I need to create a text file before I download the data?
> >

> Hi Dora!
>
> Not sure what you mean. You need to create the schema and load into UniSQL
> before you create classes anyway. The schema file may have extended SQL
> statements, thus:
>
> CREATE CLASS part
> ;
> CREATE CLASS conn
> ;
> ALTER CLASS part ADD ATTRIBUTE
> id integer,
> part_type char(11),
> x integer,
> y integer,
> build integer,
> connected_to set(conn),
> connected_from set(conn)
> ;
> ALTER CLASS conn ADD ATTRIBUTE
> from_part part,
> to_part part,
> conn_type char(11),
> length integer
> ;
>
> COMMIT WORK;
>
> UniSQL comes with some tools that will allow you to dump out the database
> - check the manuals. The format may be something like this when
> written-out:
>
> %id glo_name 6
> %id glo_holder 7
> %id glo 8
> %id part 9
> %id conn 10
> %id audio 11
> %id slcaudio 12
> %id agent 13
> %id audio_agent 14
> %id image 15
> %id twod_image 16
> %id threed_image 17
> %id pbm 18
> %id rawpbm 19
> %id x11bitmap 20
> %class part (build y x id part_type connected_from connected_to)
> 1: 436436119 43359 61358 1 'part-type4 ' {_at_10|1} {_at_10|2,
> _at_10|3,
> _at_10|4}
> 2: 578654140 18509 70911 2 'part-type5 ' {_at_10|5} {_at_10|6,
> _at_10|7,
> _at_10|8}
> etc.
>
> If you have a complex schema, the utility will still write it out to a
> text file, but then it is your responsibility to "munge" the data into a
> suitable format for loading into something else.
>
> HTH
>
> akmal

Hi akmal,

    Thanks for your help!

    I'm a new learner of UniSQL.

    I have create the schema and create some tables in the UniSQL database. My problem is that my supervisor ask me to
convert the UniSQL database into the Informix database by using Visual Basic as the translator. That is a question. I don't know how to change a OODB into a Relational DB. Therefore, I think I need to get the UniSQL schema and transform it into Informix schema. Also I need to download all data in the UniSQL and upload to the new Informix database. But, the most difficult part is I need to transform UniSQL methods into Informix stored procedure. All these processes must do in the VB translator.

    Therefore, I just want to know how to get the schema from the UniSQL without using other tools support?

    Also, how to download data in the UniSQL database? Do I need to write a method or a program to download/copy data from the UniSQL? Received on Sun Apr 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message