Re: first normal form

From: DOM <dm_at_a.com>
Date: 2000/03/29

Hello Mr. Celko,
Thanks for answering.
Unfortunatelly I lost both my 3-rd and 7-th editions of C Date's book, so I have to rely on my memory(otherwise I wouldn't waste bandwith in this newsgroup).
A definition of 1stNF says that you cannot have arrays or repeating groups in a column. I also remember that Date had a definition based on atomicity(which clarifies the case presented). Since the definition with arrays and repeating groups is vague, I'd like to clarify it(for myself):
repeating groups means something like:
SocInsNumber(PK), Name, Child1Name, Child2Name, Child3Name, etc.. arrays mean:
lastName,firstName,wholeName(which is lastName||firstname)

Is that right?
TIA,