marketing database challenge

From: <rkeets_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/28

We have a normalized database table showing product relationships per customer. The format includes customer_id and product_id. For sake of argument, let's say that the company only sells three different types of products... therefore, customers can have one, two, or three records in the product_relationship table, depending on which products they have purchased.
The challenge is how to create a de-normalized view of this table so that Marketing end users can easily analyze customers by number of relationships. From an SQL perspective, this can be done through subqueries. However, I'm trying to find a way to make this 'dummyproof'  for end-users.
One way to accomplish this might be to create a view that would look like the below:
customer_id prod_A_ind prod_b_ind prod_c_ind Does anyone know the best way (most efficient SQL) to go from the normalized table to the above?
Any other ideas on how to solve this problem... especially given a situation where new product types could be added on any given day?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message