Re: Surrogate Keys As Part Of Composite Keys?

From: Kevin King <kevin_at_precisonline.com>
Date: 2000/03/28

Randy Yates <qusraya_at_rtp.ericsson.com> wrote:
> You haven't answered my question. My question is: why *not* do it
> with a surrogate key? I've known for a week and agree that the method
> above is the proper way to model the table, but I'm missing the theory
> and corresponding insight on *why* I need to do it this way.

Simplicity. If you need it, use it. If you don't, don't. If you think you may need it at some point in the future, prognosticate and make an educated judgement one way or the other.

From everything I've read in this thread to date, it doesn't sound like it will provide any value to the application. However, if you wanted to track shipments of product (in another table) to specific line items on specific orders, then I'd say such a column has a very legitimate purpose.

--Kevin
kevin_at_precisonline.com
http://www.precisonline.com
http://www.precisonline.com/gold.htm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message