Re: Why are data types size limited?

From: <eison_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: 2000/03/28

Rudy Fernandes <rferdy_at_americasm01.nt.com> wrote:
: Informix, like other databases, also allows you to change the size and
: datatype of your column quite easily - so, if your business needs change, the
: database can be modified to fit.

This is not at all easy if using BLOBs in Oracle - they have a bunch of restrictions that are unique to that particular data type and make no sense from an end-user perspective.

I am glad to hear that these brain-dead character problems are not universal, although I certainly wish some database vendor would create a database that could automatically use the fastest/best means of storage for the text to be stored (the point about restricting integer size due to the program also having to worry about it made good sense)... and I really wish that Oracle would do this, although I won't hold my breath.

-David

--
David Eison      (404) 892-6579 x 212     <http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~eison>
Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity