Re: Implementing product attributes

From: Raimundo Lozano <rlozano_at_medicina.ub.es>
Date: 2000/03/24

Thomas Muller wrote:
[snip]

> The value_char, value_int approach you suggest is quite poor, I think.

I agree with you indeed.

> Depending of the abstraction-layer approach, you may skip the 'encoding' or
> 'type' field in the attribute-table. In a OO aproach, all "things" in the
> database should map to a class, and the the "thing" should inherently know
> how to handle it's attributevalues, thus enforcing validation checks on
> insertions and extractions.

I agree on that from a OO aproach. But you make the database and the application more coupled on this way. You can not perform some SQL queries directly on the database, that is turned application dependant. That can be a limit to sharing information.

Raimundo Lozano Received on Fri Mar 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message