Re: Is a Query langauge really necessary in an OODB?

From: topmind <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/03/23

In article <38D8A56C.BCDA1C4F_at_arcavia.com>, Kyle Lahnakoski <kyle_at_arcavia.com> wrote:

>topmind wrote:
>
>> Well the OO approach violates *sharability* of data across
>> multiple paragigms and languages. ("My method or no method")
>>
>> Thus, we trade one evil for another. Joyous.
>
>The class of an object could be available to all users on the
 system.
>It is the class that holds the definition of the method. Any
 user can
>run that method on any object in that class, once the server
 provided
>the lock for it. Since objects are small items in a DB, I can
 see a
>large amount of concurrency.
>
>May you elaborate on what you wrote? You may have an example I
 am not
>considering.

>Kyle Lahnakoski [snip]

I am not arguing that OO data cannot be shared. I am arguing that it is tougher because:

  1. Every class author creates different interfaces. Thus, the access approaches to the data are not as consistant. More effort to learn custom interfaces. (The same for report writers and off- -shelf query tools.)
  2. The class author may not have made very convient access methods and/or documentation. This may create query backlogs until better access methods are written.

-tmind-