Implementing product attributes

From: Fernando <spamers_at_must.die>
Date: 2000/03/18

Hi!

        I have a datbase with n products. Each of these products belongs to 1 and only one cathegory.

        For example: I have 10 different beers, 5 magazines and 30 books. So, every beer belongs to the cathegry "beverages", while every book belongs to "Books", etc...

        The attributes of a product depends on which cathegory it belongs too, and are usually very different from cathegory to cathegory. While the list of attributes is a function of the cathegory, the values of those attributes is a function of the product.

        What's the best way to model this thing? O:-) Right now I have a products table and a cathegories table, but how do you handle the product attributes, while enforcing data integrity (never letting a book to be assigned to "beverages", etc...)? O:-)

TIA
// Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
// frr at mindless dot com