Re: db constraints evaluation question

From: <joe_celko_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/17

>> If I have a set of constraints in my (e.g. object-oriented) db and a
transaction which performs several update, delete etc. operations, how do I determine which deferred constraint checks are needed at the end of the transaction - to find out if my data still is in onsistent/valid state or not. <<

The SQL-92 Standard says that ALL constraints -- defered or not -- must be met when the transaction is finished. Otherwise, you get a ROLLBACK WORK and a set of error messages which tell you which constraints were violated. Deferred constraints are turned off only until you turn them back on, or try to COMMIT WORK.

--CELKO-- Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Mar 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message