db constraints evaluation question

From: martin pein <martin_at_pein-city.de>
Date: 2000/03/17

Hi there!

If I have a set of constraints in my (e.g. object-oriented) db and a transaction which performs several update, delete etc. operations, how do I determine which deferred constraint checks are needed at the end of the transaction - to find out if my data still is in consistent/valid state or not.

I could e.g. check _all_ my constraints, which would probably be more than I need to do, because the transaction probably didn't affect all my data.

Is there any work being done out there to calculate the needed constraint checks during a series of operations, where constraints can be any logical (or boolean) expression which uses attributes etc. from the database structure and operations can be anything you can do in procedural languages like C(++) etc.?

Thanks,

Martin Received on Fri Mar 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message