Re: b-tree keys per node

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: 2000/03/17

"Amy Hughes" <amyhughes_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8atp67$ore$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...

> Can anyone point me toward a discussion, online or published, on
> selecting the number of keys per node in a b-tree for optimal
> performance?

I think I misunderstood your post when I made my first reply. If you mean what I now think you mean, will your database be used mainly for OLTP, with lots of insertions, updates, and/or deletions, or mainly querying? More keys per node makes most everything faster, until you run into locking conflicts if you have multiple users changing the data.

Just what you wanted, an answer consisting of "it depends..."

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster_at_ricochet.net>  Space Cooties! <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to