Re: Internet search engines and databases

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: 2000/03/15

"Tony Fulford" <tony_fulford_at_attglobal.net> wrote in message news:38CF8BC0.A39F60EE_at_attglobal.net...

> I would like to start a new thread to discuss the future of searching
> the internet.

> Internet search engines utilize the accessible content of a website to
> generate their search results. More and more website content is being
> placed in databases and served dynamically to users as required. The
> information in these databases is not available to search engines
> because the databases have security mechanisms (e.g., username &
> password) to prevent access. As more and more websites become based on
> information contained in databases, the search results be come
> increasingly sparse and inaccurate.

If I was an online vendor, I'd make available static pages listing all products I offered, with links to the database queries to pull up more information. That way, these static pages need only change as a product was added or removed from those available for sale. I'd consider breaking the list up into multiple pages, perhaps by category or manufacturer. Problem solved, at least for me. These pages can themselves be generated by insert, update, and delete triggers, if my server database allowed generating files or calling external programs via trigger.

Oops, did I too just relinquish my rights to a software patent, or am I infringing on one by posting this? Will Amazon.com now sue me?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster_at_ricochet.net>  Space Cooties! <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to