Help! How do I get my registered Web pages to show up in search engines?

From: Alice Ramirez <alice_at_chem.ucla.edu>
Date: 2000/03/13

If I have contacted the wrong newsgroup, please point me in the right direction. I have a labor-of-love non-commercial Website devoted to a particular topic. I have registered my URL with various search engines, which I understand are somehow related to data bases. The only one that shows it is Altavista, and that, on about Page 15. My Website covers the topic much more fully than any of the 15 pages ahead of my site. What am I doing wrong, that search engines stubbornly ignore my website even though I have registered it? I have put descriptives into the meta tags.

--
http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~alice/explorations/index.htm